Friday, April 8, 2011

No Reservations


Lately, I've been watching a lot of the tv show No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain. I really enjoy its travel/culture/food mix. It has reinvigorated my longtime dream of taking a year off, off of life i guess, and just traveling, going wherever i want and being able to changes plans at any instant. I want to see different places, experience different different cultures, and of course, try different local cuisines. I have a feeling, or maybe just a hope, that after doing this, my general outlook on life would change for the better. Any suggestions of places that I should visit if I ever find a way to complete this goal? Have any of you guys done something like this? If so, do you have any tips or words of advice?

20 comments:

  1. You should go for Europe since it's Safe Plenty of Cultures and Countrys to pick from and yet close by each other...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wish we had smart, funny TV shows like this where I live.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I haven't, I don't have the time to go exploring the world. Wish I did :(

    ReplyDelete
  4. Do you want to stay stateside or travel the world? Stateside I'd recommend hitting each geographical area, the South, North, Northwest, Central Plains, SoCal, etc etc

    ReplyDelete
  5. You need to watch a movie called "The Beach" with Leonardi DiCaprio. That will really get your imagination flowing with ideas for this.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hit up Asia if you can. Huge variety of food, much different culture than that of the west, great for an adventure. I set up Hong Kong as a base because it's fairly westernized and quite safe, then went from there. Taiwan is close, China is right next door. Do something, you won't regret it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. where are you currently based?

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is really cool. I would love to travel more.

    I've been to the UK, Mexico, Dubia, and India so far. I'd like to see more.

    ReplyDelete
  9. In the US there are a couple of places to go if you enjoy nature. of course there is Yellowstone in California, and other major state parks like that. A personal favorite of mine is the Boundry Waters Canoe area up on the US-Canadian border. Very rustic, and lots of good food and friendly people

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've wanted to do this aswell, I'm thinking of doing it for 6 months after finishing uni but still not sure if I'll be able to afford it.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i havent seend this program but id say id depends on what your travelling style would be, for example its easy nice and fascinating to travel ireland by foor and maybe hiking, but i guess that wont apply for china :D

    p.s.: really have a go at irelands west-coast, especially the Cliffs of moher if you ever come to mid europe.

    ReplyDelete
  12. this program looks rather interesting, gonna try to watch it online later.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh man you should totally go to Ireland. My and my little brother went over there for 2 weeks. We had running bet to see if we could find a place with bad food. After 2 weeks of great food we left Ireland with a heavy heart. Beautiful country, great people, awesome food and most of all...Beer. haha.

    ReplyDelete
  14. you should try lsd, or go to the galapogas islands, that will cure what ailes ya!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've went to a few place here in Chicago that he has been to. Check out Hot Dougs if you're in town.

    ReplyDelete
  16. No Reservations is a great show if i ever go anywhere its good to know whats going on in the city

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to try that too.
    Tips on places would depend on your economy, but visiting some Asian countries and tasting real asian food would be a good idea, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I've thought that show was interesting, but never got the time, Ill start now!

    ReplyDelete